Monday, February 8, 2010

The start of a world of communication

To start off, I think I'll explain a little bit about this blog. I would by no means consider myself a world traveler, but I do love to travel the world. I have been to a few places, and in just those few places I have had a world of experiences.

There are so many things which are part of the never-ending "globalization." For anybody who has studied Thomas Friedman in a classroom, this word is all too familiar. The definition of globalization by Friedman is as such:
The interweaving of markets, technology, information systems and telecommunications systems in a way that is shrinking the world from a size medium to a size small, and enabling each of us to reach around the world farther, faster, deeper, and cheaper than ever before, and enabling the world to reach into each of us farther, faster, deeper, cheaper than ever before.

Through this, as Friedman states, the world becomes in an essence, smaller. In the United States, your clothes can be from Taiwan, your food from Canada, technology from Japan right before you call India to solve a problem. There are everyday international experiences, which can lead to greater worldly ones.

I hope to use my experiences to try and take a look at different ways that people interact throughout the world. Also, the meaning of this blog, Hoppipola, is "jumping through puddles" in Icelandic. It's a song done by Sigor Ros, an Icelandic band. I have taken the interpretation of this to be myself, jumping from one "puddle" to the next, taking you through the puddles of my experiences. Come along for the jumping.

0 comments:

Post a Comment